Fort Campbell, KY asked in Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: Can I get brought to court on a 4 year old lease for problems found after and inspection. What can I do.

We lived in Utah 4 years ago. We did a final move out inspection with no discrepancies. The other day we received a text message that we owed money for cleaning and paint repair. They are threatening to turn over the info to an attorney which will affect my credit. They have not contacted us in 4 years about this and our emails and phone numbers have not changed. They are also ignoring my emails about providing the last move out inspection and any proof (photos etc.) of the damages. What can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Utah State Code 78B-2-305(1) says that a party (like a landlord) may only sue for damage to the home/apartment within 3 years.

It's possible the text is someone who learned a little of your info and is scamming you. If it is the real landlord, they no longer will be allowed to sue as more than 3 years have passed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.