Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody for Indiana

Q: I am the father of a child who lives in denver Colorado. I live in indiana. What state do u need to hire a lawyer in.

I want my child for half the year or even some of the year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: That depends on a variety of circumstances (e.g. is there a court order in place? Where does the mother reside? How long has the child been in CO?). However, based on the information you've provided, I would say it is a safer bet to seek out the assistance of a Colorado attorney for preliminary information. If in fact your case needs to be filed in Indiana, the CO attorney should be able to tell you that.

I hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.