Grand Prairie, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Arkansas

Q: Does a Letter of Administration give immediate access to deceased personal bank acct without probate or small estate?

My dad died almost a month ago without a will. His estranged wife isn't communicating with me about the affairs of his estate since we received death certificates. They were separated (not legally) and had not lived together for 5 years. His personal bank account was solely in his name and had no beneficiary or POD. Since there's no will, if she gets a Letter of Admin. and appointed administrator does it allow her immediate access to his funds without probate court? His personal property is less than $100,000 and can go through small estate procedures instead of probate court, but she would not proceed with either one if appointed administrator and able to transfer money from his personal account (if that's possible?). Before she stopped all communication, she told me she needed to transfer money from his account, but I know she was not a beneficiary. Today the bank only would tell me his account was closed. I cannot file a small estate affidavit for 2 more weeks. I appreciate any help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon M Haubert
Brandon M Haubert
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Cabot, AZ
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You need to open a probate. You will most likely need the court to render a decision on who gets the money and probably go through the discovery process to figure out what happened with the money. The small estate affidavit process does not work in contested matters. She may have already filed a small estate to clear out the bank account. If that is the case you will need to open a probate and have her account for her actions. You need to consult with a lawyer about this situation.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.