Portland, OR asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon

Q: How long is the process to petition the court to move out of state if I have joint custody?

I have physical custody and he has her every other weekend and a couple weeks in the summer. He told me he will not allow me to move. Financially this is best for me and educationally right now is best for her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Subject to the court's availability during COVID 19, a hearing in most relocation cases can usually be heard within 3-5 months of when Father files his objection to the move. Often, the objection is accompanied by a motion to change custody and/or parenting time. The process usually begins by you giving written notice to Father and to the court of your intent to move.

If the issue of relocation arises in the context of a dispute over the parenting plan, the question for the court is whether the relocation is in the best interests of the child.

In determining the best interests and welfare of the child, the court considers the following relevant factors:

(a) The emotional ties between the child and other family members;

(b) The interest of the parties in and attitude toward the child;

( c) The desirability of continuing an existing relationship;

(d) The abuse of one parent by the other;

(e) The preference for the primary caregiver of the child, if the caregiver is deemed fit by the court; and

(f) The willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child.

Relocation cases can be difficult and I encourage you to contact an attorney in your area to discuss your rights and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.