Indianapolis, IN asked in Family Law for Indiana

Q: I live in Hamilton county and if I file for child support does that include custody or is that another filing

I have been with the father of my children for 11 years, not married and we purchased a house 3 years ago with both of our names on it. He move out 2 mths ago and wants to take me to court for joint custody which I am assuming so he doesn't have to pay me child support. If I file for support, is custody a separate filing that he would have to do? Also, how likey is it for him to get joint and not have to pay me anything? He makes about 10,000 more than I do and I pay for everything including medical, vision, and dental insurance and there is no way he would be able to have them for a week because he works nights and weekends and they are only 10 and he isn't even in the school district

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: Most likely you would file for both custody and support, and the court would treat them as one. His chances of getting joint custody really depend on the specifics of your case. I would encourage you to speak directly with a family law attorney for a more detailed assessment.

I hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.