Benton Harbor, MI asked in Business Formation and Copyright for Michigan

Q: I want to make a baseball hat with these same initials. Can I do that?

I want to use the initials GTFO.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Steve Charles Vondran
Steve Charles Vondran PRO label
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA

A: Go to USPTO search trademarks. See if anyone us using this in your classification. Also do a common law search (especially in the state you are planning to do business), and others. A lot of similar marks are allowed to co-exist, but do a little leg work and see what you find. Good legal. This is general legal information only and not legal advice. Attorney Steve™

Allison Higgins
Allison Higgins
  • Intellectual Property Lawyer
  • Helotes, TX

A: You may be able to, but you will want to do a thorough USPTO and common law search before doing so. Your best bet is to hire a trademark attorney to do the search and prepare a federal trademark application for you. Many of us offer affordable flat-fee trademark registration packages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.