Lehi, UT asked in Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: After being served an eviction and given a date. Do we forfeit the right to sell our mobile home?

The house is ours no lean

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: In the eyes of the state, a mobile home is a vehicle. That is why you have a vehicle title to the home when you own it. If you are being evicted from the mobile home park, they either have a problem with you or your mobile home, or both.

If you own the mobile home, selling it is always a possibility. The question is whether the park will allow the buyer to stay there with the mobile home. You will have to communicate with the park owner and explain your desire to sell and ask if they will accept a new owner and allow them to rent the land the mobile home is sitting on.

Evictions require an order from a court. If the "Eviction Notice" you received is not a stamped order of a Utah court, then you haven't been evicted yet. The owner would still need to go to court and argue that you are breaking your agreement with them in some way, usually by not paying monthly rent. If you do not have an order, then you only have a notice that must expire before the land owner can even start the eviction process by filing a claim in state court. This process will still normally take a few weeks before an order is produced and you are forced to leave by an officer. You can get free legal help from www.utahlegalservices.org if you qualify based on financial difficulty.

Currently, due to covid, the Federal Center for Disease control has issued an order preventing all landlords from evicting a tenant for failure to pay rent. Any other reason, such as being a nuisance to your neighbors, allows for evictions, but must still be proven in court. If the notice is only for failure to pay rent, then you can stop the eviction. This hold on evictions will last until December 31, 2020.


To get protection from eviction under this law, you must go to the link below and print out the form and complete it and sign it and deliver it promptly to the owner of your mobile home park.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.