Philadelphia, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My Tennant changed the lock. What is our recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Ask your tenant to meet with you at the leased space and deliver two additional copies of the key (made at his expense) to the new lock. Make sure the new keys work. Show the tenant the provision of the lease which prohibits the tenant from changing the locks. The most serious reasons for not changing locks is to allow the fire department, medical emergency serious and others to enter the leased space in an emergency. If a key is not provided in such instances, the door would need to be knocked down, causing additional damages, and the tenant would be responsible for the cost of replacing the door, fixing the damages and replacing the lock and fixing the damage. You should also send him a written notice of default for changing the lock and, if permitted by the lease, charge him for the default.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.