Lewisburg, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How do I get my 14yr old son back that wants to come live with me I am in Tennessee and he lives in alabama with his

Father whom I was never married to nor is there any custody agreements with the court he came got him 2 1/2 years ago for a visit wouldn't let him come back said he wanted to stay but now my son who is 14 wants to come back to live with me what can I do or do I have more rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jenna McDonald Nichols
Jenna McDonald Nichols
  • Memphis, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hi there. You absolutely have parental rights that entitle you to have appropriate custody and/or visitation with your son. Because your son has been living in Alabama for the last 2 years, that will be considered the "home state" of the child. You will likely need to file a petition to establish custody and/or visitation in Alabama, so I would recommend contacting an Alabama licensed attorney as a first step. Once a petition is filed in the appropriate jurisdiction, you will be able to address custody, parenting time, and where the child will live moving forward, etc. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.