Asked in Estate Planning for Colorado

Q: I own my home and property, paid for. my boyfriend lives withme but we are not husband and wife, have no accounts togeth

Is there a way tolet him live here after I pas without putting property in his name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Maye
Sean Maye
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you were legal husband and wife, your assets (including this and any other real or personal property) would automatically pass to him - unless there were any other unforeseen reasons or legal complications that would frustrate that.

Absent any legal martial status, you would need to set up a will that names him as a beneficiary and you would likely need to specify that you want him to take over ownership of the property upon your passing. This would, however, result in him becoming the title owner of the property after you pass - again, unless there were any other unforeseen reasons or legal complications that would frustrate that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.