Q: I was approved for legal assistance but they didn't have a family attorney available to represent me, where to help

I've been going through a custody case where my daughter's mom is using my current moment of unemployment due to unforeseen back surgery. Her and her attorney have made false accusations, one after another and having a super biased magistrate and no representation, they have succeeded in painting a very incorrect picture of me and I can't do anything about it. I have provided proof to show the truth and the magistrate has ignored them and denied every single one of my motions in my defense. The CFI that was appointed was not a neutral party, in fact the magistrate was very specific in her instructions for the magistrate to investigate me and me alone. For lack of better words, I am getting utterly screwed and nothing I can do. I applied and was approved through Colorado Legal Services but they didn't have availability so I'm on a sinking ship. Where can I find help before I lose time and rights of my daughter due to a smear job I couldn't defend myself from? I'm desperate!

1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: At this point, you may need to retain your lawyer privately, not through Legal Aid. They are not really set up to help everyone who needs it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.