Philadelphia, PA asked in Employment Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: Do I have to provide opposing counsel with documents that have nothing to do with the pending case.

My case is for equal pay and retaliation and now after providing excessive amounts of documents, opposing counsel is requesting access to all of my medical records. There is nothing medical related to the case therefore do I have to see sign the HIPPA release?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Typically, you do not need to provide medical records if your medical condition is not part of your claim. Realistically, an attorney would need to know more about your case to determine if there is any reason to obtain your medical records. If you do not provide a signed HIPAA authorization, they may issue subpoenas for your records. You will need to file an objection to the subpoena to stop the release of your records. You may need to discuss your case with an attorney to get/provide some more information.

Best wishes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.