Newberg, OR asked in Car Accidents for Oregon

Q: Someone hit and ran my car totaled it i have no license or insurance what will happen?

Was taken by ambulance to hospital my friend got life flighted air bags went off

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Salem, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is clearly not a very optimal situation. I hope that your friend and you recover fully from this accident. Nothing is more precious than people and their health. If your friend has car insurance, it is possible that they can make a claim for Personal Injury Protection (PIP) under their Uninsured Motorists Insurance (UIM) of their policy. Most policies are for $15K. I am not sure if this happened in Oregon, but since you are from Newberg, I assume so, you have a duty to report the accident to the Oregon DMV within 72 hours. WA has different rules, and you should consult with an attorney in your area about this matter. Ultimately, if you can find out who hit the car, you will be able to pursue a claim as to the driver of the other vehicle (if they were in the wrong), and recover economic losses--i.e., medical bills and property loss. Your claim will be limited because you were not insured; however, your friend may be able to recover for all their damages. Intentional Hit and Run is a crime, and you are a victim of this crime. You might want to report this offense to law enforcement, if it has not been reported; however, as noted above, you should seek legal counsel in case you risk exposure to being cited for driving without a license and/or being uninsured. I wish you and your friend the very best and hope you are able to get this taken care of with the best possible outcome, and I encourage you to strongly consider working towards getting licensed and insured in the future--and before you drive again.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.