Chippewa Falls, WI asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: anything legally i can do if i had money i had deposited inherited money into a friend's account and they spent it all

my father gave me $14,000 so i could take care of things i needed to in my life. At this time of my life i couldn't open a bank account because of some decisions i decided to make in the past. So i had the money deposited into a so called "friend's" account that i thought i could trust. When i tried to get my money that i inherited from my father my "friend" claims i spent it all at Walmart and that the money isn't there when it was my first time asking so i could retrieve my money. i've been so upset, lost, frustrated, hurt and so on about this situation. I don't have a clue on what to do about it or if i can do anything about it. It's gotten to the point to where i've taken it as a loss.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin J. Kuhn

A: I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is terrible when someone we believe to be a friend turns around and takes advantage of us. You have a right to sue this person, but you will have trouble proving your case if you don't have anything in writing. If this person was mean enough to take your money, he or she will probably lie in court as well by saying that you never gave he or she the money, that the money was a gift, or that you actually spent all the money yourself. Unfortunately, without anything in writing, there is a good chance you will lose your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.