Payson, UT asked in Landlord - Tenant for Utah

Q: If I am renting a home in Utah and paid a plumber to unclog a drain is the bill my responsibility or the landlords?

I addressed the problem to the land lord prior to making the work order to a plumber service and was told it was my responsibility. But upon reviewing the lease terms again it states that I am responsible to reimburse the land lord for the cost of any repairs caused by misuse or neglect. Is using the bathroom known as misuse or neglect?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: It is difficult to give you a definitive answer without reviewing your lease. Under Utah law, many parts of the Landlord-Tenant relationship can be controlled by the lease. If the lease says nothing, you are stuck. The person who pays for the repair is often left holding the bag. If the landlord refused to do the repair, you could argue the home is not liveable, and that you should be free to terminate the lease and move out. The portion of the lease you described won't help you, but it might be used against you.

The question is how the plumbing failed. Did a child or pet drop a toy in a toilet? Or was there simply a slow buildup in pipes that needed normal maintenance to function? Your plumber can tell you what he discovered and you can use that to make your argument with your landlord.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.