Paterson, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for New Jersey

Q: I am a minor, and I may be charged with a 3rd degree felony. The amount of money that was taken was $6,000 from my job.

What may be the charges and what can happen.

The company said they would not press charges, but it wasn't on paper.

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It would be the same as if you were an adult. It's a third degree case which subjects you up to 3 to 5 years in jail $15,000 fine probation and restitution as required by the court. If you do get charged to make sure your parents hire a good lawyer for you to reduce or eliminate these penalties.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.