Asbury Park, NJ asked in Constitutional Law, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: Since i wont date my landlord he has put my house for sale I pay my rent on time, what can I do?

I have been living there for five years,each of those years I've had to deal with him popping up and bringing me gifts,showing up walking around the windows,and just walking in saying he had to drop something off.I have always laughed him off, told him I did not feel comfortable but he didn't stop.During the pandemic,he wanted to come over, I told him NO several times, he threatened to sell the property.Even though my sons and I had began looking for a place. The landlord has ramped up his search for a buyer with a realtor constantly harassing me,in October, however it is November and Covid is rising I have Asthma, and my landlord says don't worry Covid was made up to scare people, and that it does not really exist.He is constantly coming here without wearing a mask.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There are two issues raised in your question.

The first is the Landlord coming into your apartment uninvited and harassing you generally. Wheteher you have a written or oral lease you are entitled to quiet enjoyment. The landlord is breaching this provision of the lease.As such, you may seek court intervention to keep the landlord from embarrassing you.

The second issue is the what happens if the building is sold. Whoever buys the building takes title subject to existing leases. The terms of the current lease will continue to control irrespective of the owner of the building.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.