Palmer, MA asked in Estate Planning for Maine

Q: In the state of Maine does a paramour have any legal right to remain in the residence after the boyfriend dies.

The 96 y/o lives in property he once owned but it has been his daughters for the past seven years. He has no interest in the real property not even a life estate. He has a live in gf and he drafted a will giving her everything. Can she stay In the residence for any amount of time ?? I know the will can be challenged for undue influence and capacity however the residence is outside the estate issue

I will need Penobscot county counsel as lead

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: To start to analyze your question, I would need to know on what basis the 96 y/o is currently occupying the property. For example, is it pursuant to a lease with his daughter/the property owner? If there is a lease, the likely answer is its terms will govern.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.