Aurora, CO asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: My friends 14yr old son punched her in the face and broke her nose. He also hits his brother and has fits of rage.

She had made several reports and no help, the police claim they can't step in. What can she do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Maye
Sean Maye
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The best course of action is therapy or counseling. There are certainly grounds for getting the police or the courts involved if the boy hit his mother intentionally, and certainly when the result was a broken nose. But criminal sanctions may possibly result in the boy being removed from the home or incarcerated (or worse), which is not in anyone's best interests.

If your friend is reporting these incidents to the police already, however, and feels law enforcement is necessary to mitigate the issues, it is surprising to me that the police are not stepping in - again, especially when there is a broken nose.

It sounds like there might be more to the story and that any lawyer would need more information to truly assess the situation and your friend's options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.