River Grove, IL asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: My daughter's father left her some money we spent it before her 18th birthday. Now what is probate court going to do.

I am suppose to show proof that the money is in a account but my daughter and I spent the money..Now probate court keeps calling me and I don't know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: You need to immediately retain an estates attorney to discuss your obligations to account for this money. Your exposure here may depend on how you spent the money. For example, if you spent the money for your daughter's health, education, support, etc. then you may not have a problem. But a meeting with an estates attorney is required to get a definitive answer as to how to proceed.

Thomas B. Burton agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.