Lansdale, PA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I was in a coma for three days the doctor found meth in my system somehow Child Protective Services found out

I didn't give my permission for them to look at my medical records and they didn't get a court order either but somehow they found out. Is there anything I can do about them violated my HIPAA rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It's likely that the information made it to CYS via reporting by one of the medical providers that treated you. Medical professionals are required by statute to report whenever there is a reasonable concern that a person responsible for the care of a child is under the influence of a controlled substance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.