Tillamook, OR asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: If parenting plan to move out of state is agreed upon, only if child support is cut. Is that extortion?

My wife and I are trying to move from Oregon to Arizona. We met with her ex (non custodial) parent and he agreed upon a parenting plan but he will only sign if child support is cut in half.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: No. Extortion is a crime that usually involves a threat of physical harm. You have a dispute about child support.

Oregon’s Uniform Child Support Guidelines contain a formula that takes into account the parties’ gross income, the parties’ parenting plan (the overnights), childcare costs, medical insurance costs and uninsured ongoing medical expenses in addition to several other factors. Oregon’s child support calculator is found online at www.oregonchildsupport.gov/calculator/pages/index.aspx. Once the parties’ information is inputted into the worksheets, the formula determines a presumptively correct amount of child support. The presumed amount is generally followed unless specific findings are made that the amount is unjust and inappropriate based on the facts of the particular case.

One possible factor to justify a deviation from the presumed amount is the long-distance transportation expenses related to the parenting plan.

You should consult with an attorney to determine whether a deviation from the presumed amount of support is appropriate in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.