Orlando, FL asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Should my child support obligation be adjusted.

Child support was and still is based off of old job. In early 2019 I filed for a reduction due to drastically reduced work hours. Regular 60 hrs/week, went to 40/wk. I was told by the juvenile courts that my pay did not decrease enough for a reduction. a few months later I quit that job due to significant physical strain. I had developed a second hernia due to my job and could not afford a second surgery. I started a new job one week later at relatively the same ending pay as my old job. Went to court with new pay stubs, they still wouldn't reduce it. Now, my oldest child turned 18 in july 2020, graduated hs may 2020. I have filed for a reduction due to my child's 18th birthday. I still have two other minor children on that support order. Also, I have two small children with my fiancee that I am struggling to support. should my current pay be calculated when we go back to court? Or can they still use the pay from my old job? Should my cs be reduced since oldest is 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your 2 subsequent children are irrelevant, but your reduced income and 18 year old child are relevant. Hire a child support lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.