Lawrenceburg, IN asked in Education Law for Indiana

Q: If the public school refuses accommodations for my child's 504 plan, what can be done?

My daughter attends public school in Indiana and has a 504 due to a learning disability. We need to add more accommodations but the school is giving push back saying they don't have the staffing or resources necessary. I argue they are necessary and must be done. What happens now? What can I do?

I should add all accommodations requested are reasonable. (Check agenda at end of day, make sure needed supplies come home, give 5 extra minutes to check assignments, etc). I did request 10 new accommodations but they are necessary. She is currently failing due to poor education and the teacher not following her current 504.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Natick, MA

A: I would recommend contacting the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). 504 requires school districts to provide appropriate education services that meet the individual needs of the student to equal the way the needs of students do not have disabilities are met. You may additionally have recourse through your state's administrative complaint system. In MA it is the Board of Special Education Appeals, but there should be a similar avenue for Due Process in your state.

Information about the OCR complaint process:

Complaint form:

If your daughter is not making effective progress, you may also consider whether she should be evaluated (or re-evaluated) for special education services.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.