Terre Haute, IN asked in Probate for Indiana

Q: Can adult child of deceased open probate for estate with no will and recently discovered assets that just disappeared?

Have discovered assets in excess of$50k that I assume sister with POA has kept. Mother passed Oct. 4, 2019. Her home was supposedly transferred on death to sister by other POA (mother's deceased husband), after removing mother's name from deed, yet home is still in his name. Can't afford $7500 retainer fee wanted by a lawyer. Would be nice to receive my share, but at this point, will just be happy if sister doesn't get to keep everything. No wills or probate ever opened.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Sadly, when a POA does not honor her fiduciary duties, legal action must be brought to rectify the wrongdoings committed. Estate litigation is very expensive so the retainer fee does not sound out of line. You may want to shop for a lower retainer arrangement, but remember the final fee is based on hours devoted to this matter which could be more than any retainer you may pay.

To answer your question, you may be able to open the estate but if it is involves a dispute between you and a sibling, the probate process gets complicated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.