Saint Paul, MN asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Minnesota

Q: What should I do?? the police have charged me and I been victim both times and I called the police. Can I sue

I've went to police for help they sent me a ticket in mail I'll explain. First time I pulled in gas station got gas went in. On way out gas station buddy was acting a fool so I said screw him and sat in my car and all a sudden my door got ripped open and dude started punching me and in mean time his other buddy hit side of my car not once twice and threatened me with a 45 to kill me cop told me to get footage he didn't till I called down 30 times and asked for new cop and then said I'm hiring legal council I wanted my car fixed . Then week later I get a ticket for dissordely conduct. I got gas went in they did neither, I got in my car they jumped me , my car got damaged there did not. I got same charge as them and had to go all the way to court three or 4 times fought it my self and they dropped it. Wanted to make a complaint and was denied I am livid I did absolutely nothing but right thing they showed up only to assult me please help

1 Lawyer Answer
William Bailey
William Bailey
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Your priority should be contesting the criminal charges. Then you can think about a lawsuit, but you should be aware it is often very difficult to successfully sue a government entity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.