Kimberling City, MO asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Can my ex take me for child support even though she denied it when the divorce was finalized and we have joint custody.

My ex and I divorced in June of 2019, she and I agreed that b/c we both have joint custody of the kids there is no reason we need to pay child support. She has continuously threatened to take me for child support even though she denied it in front of the judge and now because she is unable to pay her bills she is trying to extort the money from me. She has started 3 different cases for Child Support and has never followed through. As of now I will be seeking full custody due to the inconsistencies and trying to extort me for money, what options do I have and what can be done??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Yes she can seek child support alleging a change in circumstance. You should speak to an attorney to discuss your options after a review of your case.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.