Colorado Springs, CO asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Colorado

Q: I am wanting to hire an appalate lawyer for my brother who is serving a72 yr sentence for no good reason. I need help?

His charge was escape for not compling with his sentence. And for being a habitual drug offender (non violent). At time of his arrest he didnt have drugs on him just money and bags for his antique stamp collection. And was shown to the court he collected. The money was even eventually returned to my brother in prison. That was accounted for as well. He was in a correctional facility whiere he wss allowed to work. The day he was arrested he was visiting an old friend on the day she was raided. Steve was there too so he unaccounted for. And charged with escape. He stood no chance with the attorney he hired. He played games on his cell phone through out the trial. I sat behind him. Its not fair hes been there15 yrs. And im coming for him through appeal.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Maye
Sean Maye
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are many attorneys, like myself and others, who do criminal appeals under Rule 35(c). It has been 15 years since the trial, so there are a lot of claims that may be time-barred, which may mean that an appeal may only be successful if there is "new evidence" that has been discovered. This would be an expensive investigation but you can certainly consult with a criminal appellate lawyer to assess your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.