Mechanicsburg, PA asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: How can I get my spouse mandatory counseling (anger, abuse (verbal/mental or physical), or any other form)?

Under no circumstances will my spouse attend any form of counseling unless it is mandated. I am married and reside in Louisiana, due to our faith, divorce is not an option; however, the verbal/mental & occasional physical abuse is a major issue & follows the same pattern (we discuss it & apologize to each other, it happens again, we discuss it & apologize to each other, & so on & so forth. In the end, it’s always my fault- as something is wrong with me). But overall it continues and has escalated. Years ago, we’d enrolled in marriage/couples counseling but each time he was a no-show & I attended, alone. As he felt he did not require any counseling as he does not think he is “doing anything wrong” & still feels this way. He manipulates the children & twist the narrative to his family members to justify & ensure he garners their support for his actions as he omits facts or adds details that did not occur (& to the children who often witness the physical or verbal/mental abuse, he would

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If he commits a battery, you can can call the Sheriff's office and file a criminal complaint. Counseling will probably then be mandated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.