Haines City, FL asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: Is it legal to sign a vehicle over to a dead persons trust

My mother in law died my boyfriend is trying to make me sign a truck into her name so he can set up a trust on her behalfHe has no liscense and her will hasn't even been submitted and it's been a year is this legal and can the vehicle be registered and driven by him just because the trust is in her name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: the whole idea sounds very flakey. First, he can't establish a trust having as beneficiary a dead person; nor can a trust naming her as trustor be established after her death either. And, of course, even if such a trust were to own the vehicle. that would do nothing to allow him to drive it. It looks like he either has a serious drug problem or needs the services of a mental health professional. Refuse to have anything to do with it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.