Council Bluffs, IA asked in Probate for Missouri

Q: My dad didn't have much $ he died Sept 13 I'm his only daughter how do I get his checking acct ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lloyd M. Nolan
Lloyd M. Nolan
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There are several ways that you can potentially obtain the funds on deposit in his account. The easiest would be your father's account had a POD provision payable on death) to you or JTWROS (joint tenant with rights of survivorship) to you. In that event, a certified copy of his death certificate should be all that you would need to show the bank. If the account was in your father's name only, (with no beneficiary designation) you will need to utilize some form of probate procedure. There is not enough information to determine the best course of action. I suggest that you call an experienced probate attorney in your area. A brief phone call should give most attorneys the ability to determine a potential course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.