Asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: Do you have 3 days to surrender yourself if fail to appear in court before being charged with this.Nebraska

My brother was out on bond on a felony charge, and forgot to appear in court. He has never done this before. Court was at 930 am. He was arrested at 2:00 pm for failure to appear. I read ne rev statute 29-908, and it says you have 3 days to surrender yourself before being charged. Would that apply in this case? Do they have the right to arrest him and take my bond money without giving him the chance to surrender himself within 3 days?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You can be arrested for a failure to appear warrant even if you missed a court date less than 3 days ago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.