Wausau, WI asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: A chips case has ended for two of my children. Although the other parent has primary placement and custody at the end

At the end of the hearing the judge granted me reasonable placement for both children. I understand that reasonable placement can mean many different thing but here is my question. If i was awarded reasonable placement , does that not mean in my own home? The other parent is trying to control the situation and say that i am not allowed to take the kids to my house right now. He is saying that is something that we need to build up to. Its not like i have supervised visitations or anything. In my mind placement would mean in my own home. Am i going to get in trouble if i bring my kids to my home... a safe home of where i have lived for 5 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Reasonable placement upon reasonable notice is often a vague schedule and only works well if both parties cooperate. You need to attend mediation to negotiate a set schedule. If he refuses to mediate, you should file a Motion to Modify the Order or a Petition to Enforce Placement at which time the Court can set a defined schedule if he is unreasonably withholding placement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.