Nazareth, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: I am 15 years old and I live in a abusive household. I had cps called but they did nothing could i get emancipated?

My parents from the ages of 3-10 would basically let my brother abuse me. My dad started in 3rd grade and he didn't lay his hands on me much but he would every now and then. My dad as long as I could remember would take out his anger on me. Recently my dad hit me and attacked and then chased after me. My mom just sits there and acts like she is trying to help. My dad won't leave the house so I told my therapist and they called cps. The workers dropped the case they didn't even do anything so now I am stuck. My best friends family offered to take me in but the only way I could do that is if I got emancipated. I could go to my grandmas but she is a hour away and I have already been through so much and I don't want to leave my friends. I don't know what to do anymore and I've lost all hope.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
  • Sierra Vista , AZ
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Foremost, stay in touch with your therapist. You need a safe-harbor to speak freely about your emotions and feelings. As for emancipation, there are several legal requirements that you must meet, starting with being 16 years old. I recommend you seek legal services if you are intent on pursuing, starting with Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.