Fort Wayne, IN asked in Education Law for Indiana

Q: I am a teacher Special Education Teacher in Indiana

I am a teacher Special Education Teacher in Indiana I was punched in the back of the head by a student and now they have deemed I have a Permanent Injury. The school corporation failed to be in compliance with the classroom IEP's. The classroom should have had 3 staff members in the room in order to be in compliance with students IEP's however, there was only 1. Is there anything that can be done? Are they responsible for the fact that I now have an impairment and am just going to have pains daily?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Natick, MA

A: I would definitely recommend following up with an attorney in Indiana. Depending on the facts, you could have a tort claim against the school for negligence. In MA there is a liability cap of $100,000, and strict procedures that must be followed to put the school on notice. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.