Biloxi, MS asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: What is the process that I need to take to evict and recover rent for nonpayment/tenant breaking lease?

Nashville: I am a landlord that has a signed lease agreement with a tenant for 12-months of which 6-months were fulfilled. The tenant is currently at my property, hasn’t paid rent and stated the he does not plan to pay.

What are the steps that I need to take to ensure the tenant is properly/legally removed from my property?

What steps do I need to take to recover the lost rent per lease, utility bill and damages? I have a security deposit, but remainder of the rent, utilities and damages exceed the deposit amount.

I’ve never experienced this before, it’s a bit frightening, and don’t want to miss a step. Please advise soonest. Thank you so much!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a competent attorney in the Davidson County area. Get him to file a Detainer Warrant and prosecute it until the occupant is gone. Do not get security deposits anymore, due to the Landlord/Tenant Act applying there. Hopefully the virus mess will not hold you up, but file the Detainer asap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.