Memphis, TN asked in Civil Rights for Tennessee

Q: My daughter lived with me six months rent free. She moved left ten bags of clothes .What can I do to make her get them.

She loaded up my garage up with ten bags of clothing and shoes, I have asked her several times to get them and put in storage. She haven't did it. Her son come to my house and when he sees them he want to get them and sell some of them but she tells me I am responsible for them. I asked her not to bring them to my house because I don't have the room, she did it anyway. I have texed her to get them she still haven't gotten them. What can I do if anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: One option you could consider is to notify her that she has 30 days to retrieve her belongings that she stored at your residence without your permission. If she fails to retrieve them by that time, you will deem them abandoned and dispose of them as you see fit. You could then sell/donate/throw away her abandoned personal property. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.