Maryville, TN asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee

Q: ordered to pay rest on a criminal chge w 3 yr unsupervised sentence. Not a single VOP other than not being able pay?

I was ordered to pay resitution on a theft charge along with a 3 year probation sentence. I completed the 3 year proabtion with impeccable report, Other than paying resitution, due to very lack of work this past year, 2020. Probation officer filed a VOP , 5 days before the sentence end date on the unpaid balance. It was not unpaid because of any unwillingingness on my part, I have a daughter at home, and simply did not have the means to pay. What are my options as far as getting it turned over to civil without probation being extended.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It won't be turned over to civil but it is part of your probation to pay the restitution and they will extend it until it is paid. I would ask the court to waive any additional probation fees though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.