Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: How can I get guardianship over my 18 y/o cousin that lives with me and her mom wants nothing to do with her?

Also I just need to get the school stuff transferred to our name so she can get a bus to pick her up but her mom does not want to cooperate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: To obtain custody of a child when you are not the parent, you generally need to file a guardianship action with the county court. Generally the Court is not going to grant a non-parent custody unless it is shown that the parents are legally unfit to care for their child. This is a very high standard. The guardianship of a minor child terminates upon the child reaching the age of majority.

If the parents are in agreement that the child should be in the custody of a non-parent for a short period of time, then the parents can sign a temporary delegation of parental powers to the non-parent. This form is available on the Nebraska Supreme Court's website and schools and hospitals are familiar with this form. The parent can revoke this form at any time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.