Leesburg, FL asked in Family Law and Adoption for Florida

Q: I just found out my ex gave my daughter up for adoption, without my knowledge or consent. I'm the biological father

She broke up with me and completely shut me out of her life..she did not get an abortion done and ended up giving the baby up for adoption..this was almost 4 years ago..and I just found out today that I have a daughter who I didnt even know existed....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Unfortunately if the adoption was four years ago there is probably nothing that can be done now. The courts will always look at what is best for the child and taking a child away from the family that it has known for four years is not in the child's best interest. Your remedy was to go to court right after the child was born for a paternity lawsuit. If you did go to court then you could try now to go after the mother for fraud but even that probably won't change things for the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.