Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Colorado

Q: What can happen if you give out a prescribed benzo for no payment? 4.5 mg

My neighbor convinced me to let him have 4.5 mg of my prescribed Xanax, claiming he had seizures and lost his prescription bottle with his Klonopin that he needed for seizures. He recieved 2 DUIs that day and had the medication I gave him, but said he refused to tell the police where he got it. What happens if it is found out I gave those to him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sean Maye
Sean Maye
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I think it be extremely difficult to hold you criminally liable for giving him the pill, given that you had no intent to commit any law violation and were merely assisting a friend with pain management based on their personal representations to you. That said, you certainly could be civilly liable by your friend, if they ever choose to sue you for allegedly causing the DUI risk. I think it would also be hard to find you civilly liable under the facts presented, but that would depend on all of the evidence.

The best advice would be to not post anything further online, to not talk to your friend about the pill or their DUI. and to maintain your right(s) to silence otherwise. If any further questions are directed to you about this, don't respond and then consult with a lawyer asap. You can also keep a lawyer on retainer for this issue should anything occur so that you can explain to any law enforcement personnel or otherwise that you are "represented by counsel" and therefore cannot legally speak without your retained lawyer present.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.