Chico, CA asked in Probate for Oregon

Q: Can Oregon Estate administration take money from an intestate heir AFTER probate has closed?

My wife’s father passed away a year after his mother passed. He never did anything with the money and had the account made in his name by his sister here in Ca. My wife was the sole intestate heir. Probate was held and has closed in Oregon where he lived. Oregon H& HS has told her that her father owed over 300k for social services which seems absurd. They have subpoenaed the bank where funds had been transferred by her Aunt (executor of her mother’s estate) into her father’s name for information as part of an “investigation”.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Unfortunately your question is far too complicated to answer online. Oregon Estate Administration should have received notice of your father-in-law's probate if the probate had been filed in Oregon. I strongly recommend your wife contact an experienced probate attorney to assist her. It is worth paying for an hour of time to get answers to your questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.