Carrollton, GA asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia

Q: Does a 'Felony' come off of someone's record after a certain period? Can a marijuana sell/distribution be expunged?

In 2007, I was charged with a Drug Felony for Possession/Manufacturing/Sell/Distribution of Marijuana in Douglas County. They (Police) actually Kicked our doors in while I was @ work. I was called and had to leave out of surgery. When me and my mother got there; They had already left with my husband (@ that time). I called the number and the investigator just told me where they put my dogs and made a comment like ;Well, you know we already got him and told me that I was okay for now and i found lawyers and I was told when to show up to be booked in as well but they said it WASN'T me that they wanted. Long story short they asked me to snitch on some people & I refused.. I bonded out the same night.. Since I didn't tell on nobody they told me they would make me regret it.

My lawyer had the case pushed from 2007 till 2011. We made a deal for 8 years probation instead of 3 years in Prison ( I had my ONLY child in 2010) so I didn't want to do prison time. My probation ended in 2017 .

1 Lawyer Answer
Meg Strickler
Meg Strickler pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Unfortunately, in Georgia, you can no longer expunge your record. The new term is "restriction" and your case doesn't qualify for restriction. So, it will remain on your record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.