Chester, VT asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Vermont

Q: Fell through makeshift floor vent injuring my knee. Was working at a residence. Unsure who's responsible or what to do.

Fake cold air vent. Something makeshift.

2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Vermont attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. If the accident occurred in the course of employment, a good starting point could be to consult with a workers' comp attorney. If there are elements of the accident that indicate a possible basis for claims outside of WC, you could ask the workers' comp attorney about those. Many workers' compensation attorneys offer free initial consults. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Richard T. Cassidy
Richard T. Cassidy
  • South Burlington, VT
  • Licensed in Vermont

A: Your question doesn't tell us enough to answer it.

First, we need to know who owned and/or controlled the place where you were injured.

Second, we need to know why you were on the premises and what your status on there was.

Where you a tenant of the premises?

Where you there to transact business?

Had you been invited there?

Were you a trespasser?

Under current Vermont law your rights would differ in each situation.

Third, once we understand your status, we would need to evaluate whether the person who owned or controlled premises failed to take reasonable care to protect you, or people like you, from harm and/or showed willful and wanton disregard for your safety.

Fourth and finally, we would need to evaluate whether you took, or failed to take, reasonable steps to protect yourself.

With this information, we could evaluate whether you have a claim.

It sounds like you could use a consultation with an experienced Vermont personal injury lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.