Wildwood, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my ex adopt my daughter

My sons father, whom ive been separated from for two years, has been raising my older daughter from the time she was 4 years old(shes ten now). In all senses, other than legal, he is her father. Her biological father is not on her birth certificate, and also passed away when she was 3 years old. Both my son's father and my daughter really want to make them being family official by him adopting her, and its something I also want for both of them. There would be no lack of consent from anywhere and we coparent already very well with both of the kids.

All forms I find and information I find for Florida all regards step parent adoption. Considering we will never get married, how would we begin the process of him adopting her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: He is considered a "non-family" member for purposes of adoption. You will need to jump through many hoops in order to do this. This cannot be done without an attorney.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.