Greeley, CO asked in Family Law and Adoption for Colorado

Q: Can the biological father see his son after being absent for 13 years ?

The biological father of my step-son has been absent since he was born he’s 13 now, I met him when he was 10 when I met his mother, we are together and somehow the absent father appear and demands he wants to see him, me and my wife talked about it and we both agree he can see him but only through legal system, We have talked to our son and he has no interest of wanting to meet him, what should we do? My wife wants me to adopt him so the biological father has no rights on him since he’s never been around, I’d love to do that but I want to do the right thing for my step son?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It depends on whether there are any current parenting time orders. If not, it sounds like you may want to request orders. As for adoption, if the biological parent consents then you may have a good opportunity. if not, the biological parent has priority, however the fact that the parent was absent for 13 years is a relevant factor to consider.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.