Portland, OR asked in Family Law for Oregon

Q: Can I get child support arrears if the other parent hasn’t been following the agreed upon parenting time?

Two years ago I signed an agreement to share 50/50 parenting time. However, shortly after the agreement and child support order was modified the other parent no longer allowed one of his children to visit due to behavior issues and therefore neither child has been at the other parent’s house for an overnight for more than 6 nights in the past 2 years. I have been so busy working out of town that I have not filed for modification. I have the paperwork to file but I feel like may be I should try to get full custody. The other parent has not really attempted much involvement in their life. Also, should I try to get full custody and should I get a lawyer for the parenting plan modification and child support arrears.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your question presents a complex and unique situation that cannot be answered here.

Generally, a modification of child custody requires a substantial change of circumstance since the time of the most recent award of custody. Once a person demonstrates a substantial change of circumstances, then the court will consider the second step of the analysis--whether the modification is in the child's best interests.

In determining the best interests of the child, the court considers the following relevant factors:

(a) The emotional ties between the child and other family members;

(b) The interest of the parties in and attitude toward the child;

( c) The desirability of continuing an existing relationship;

(d) The abuse of one parent by the other;

(e) The preference for the primary caregiver of the child, if the caregiver is deemed fit by the court; and

(f) The willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child.

A substantial change in circumstances is not required for reconsideration of parenting time. Instead, the court’s sole focus is the child’s best interests, and the court will consider the factors listed above in addition to other relevant factors.

To modify child support there has to be a substantial change in economic circumstances. A change in the parenting plan might be the basis for modification of child support.

Contact a lawyer, your local legal services office, or the courthouse (if your county has a facilitator program) to learn about what you can do. There is a court fee to file a modification case, unless you qualify for a fee waiver or deferral.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.