Coos Bay, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: I was served custody paperwork dated 11/16/2010. Is it still valid being dated wrong.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The main purposes of service of legal pleadings (service of process) are (1) to notify a person that there is a court proceeding that may affect his or her legal rights and (2) to give that person an opportunity to contest the claim. If the purposes are met, the service of process is considered valid.

If you agree with all the terms of the claim as listed in the pleadings you have received, you do not need to respond. If you want to challenge the terms listed in the pleadings, you must file a written answer —called a “response” — with the court within 30 days after you were handed the papers. Contact a lawyer, your local legal services office, or the courthouse (if your county has a facilitator program) to learn about what you can do. There is a court fee to file a response in a custody case, unless you qualify for a fee waiver or deferral.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.