Jackson, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Requesting custody of my pup.

My boyfriend and I agree to get a dog 6 months ago. He agreed to pay for the dog if I agreed to buy the essentials for the dog to take it home. We are breaking and he says I can’t have the dog because he purchased it. I have paid for all the vet bills, grooming and other necessities for the dog & I have receipts, in the beginning he says he got the dog for me and now I can’t have her. Can I sue for expenses if he does not want to grant me custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You may sue in small claims court for possession of the dog or for the expenses. If he agreed to get the dog as a gift to you, it should be considered your dog. A lawsuit for the expenses may not be successful as you voluntarily agreed to pay said expenses. If you have additional questions you may want to consult with a local attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.