Amarillo, TX asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: Separated from wife who died in TN. House is mine. Contents/cars in probate. Can I move them to storage to sell house?

The cars are in the garage, and the house is full of furniture. I can not afford to keep this house while awaiting probate to finish. I would like to move the cars and contents to storage, inventory, and then sell in estate sale. Same basic thing for the cars. My homeowner rights seem violated by the estate rights. I have attorney, and he is advising to leave probate items in house. I want to sell the house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The executor or administrator of the estate has the obligation to safeguard the assets of the estate. If the house is not part of the estate and its going to be sold, the it makes sense for the executor or administrator to arrange to have the contents that are part of the estate moved to secure storage in order to safeguard them for the heirs.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.